Regardless whether you’ve been blogging for a few years or only for a few months, you already know that blogging requires lots of work and planning.
At times, it’s also exhausting and disappointing because you feel like it’s going nowhere.
That’s why it’s important to set goals for your blog, so that you know what you’re working towards and you can measure progress while doing so.
To measure your goals, you need to put numbers next to them.
For example: number of blog posts you’ll be publishing, number of comments you’ll be shooting for, number of social media fans you’ll get.
It also means putting a deadline on these goals so you know where your efforts will be focused, thus using the time you dedicate to your blog in the most efficient way.
So let’s look at some goals you can set for this year and how to go about reaching them.
Goal #1 New blog design
Whether you started recently or have had this blog for a long time, it’s a good idea to evaluate your blog design and see if it still fits your blogging style, target audience, and the message you want to send out.
From here, you should decide if:
- You just need to make some updates to your home page
- You need to clean up your widgets and layout and you’ll be fine
- You need a complete overhaul, by getting a totally new web design
Goal #2 Blog consistently
If you want to blog more consistently, how are you going about that? Worrying about how you don’t have time is not gonna do it.
Decide if this is for you and plan accordingly:
- Wake up 20 min early every day or give up some TV time and write on your blog instead
- Set your blogging calendar and publish 2-3 posts per week to build content
- Get a blogging coach to keep you accountable so you stay on track
Goal #3 Increase traffic and social media reach
If you want to reach more people on social media, start by writing down how many this year.
Your goal can be something like: reach 3,000 Facebook fans or gain 1,000 Pinterest followers.
Then build some or all the ideas below into your plan to make it happen:
- Join blogging communities and groups to network with other bloggers and entrepreneurs
- Have a clear social media promotion strategy and use it for every blog post that you publish
- Hire out someone to help you lay out a plan to get your blog promoted
Goal #4 Increase email or blog subscribers
If you want to increase your email list by adding 1,000 subscribers, write that goal down and the actions to achieve it.
Your plan to get it done may include:
- Update your theme to a mobile-responsive one to reach more people that are using mobile devices
- Get a free offer ready and post it strategically on your blog
- Increase sharing of your posts on social media to attract more people
Goal #5 Monetize your blog
If you’re at the stage where you start thinking about monetizing your blog, here are some blogging goals to set for this year:
- Think of more ways you can serve clients by doing 1-1 work
- Write and publish an ebook then set a plan to market it and sell it
- Create an online course or a group coaching program
Whatever your goals may be, put some numbers and deadlines to them and start taking action. Remember, it won’t happen unless you do something about it.
The time is now.
What blogging goals have you set for this year? Leave us a comment and share this post so others can benefit!
Whether it’s for blog design, planning your blog posts, or blog coaching, you can count on us!
Get in touch and let us help you!